MLK Three Dimensions Reflection

 OIP.jpg

Links to an external site.

In MLK'S "The Three Dimensions of a Complete Life" speech, he taught on three main subjects, length, breadth, height, however I will be focusing on Length individually for the sake of this post. "The length of life, and this is that dimension of life, as I’ve said, in which the individual is concerned with developing his inner powers."(King) Length is the amount of willpower, self-discipline, resilience or perseverance, that an individual can inherit and strengthen. Looking towards my own life, this subject of length, is crucial especially if you're like me and are always looking for ways to help others before oneself. One example of this from my own life happened last week, over spring break. My parents are going through a divorce, and one of the main issues of their divorce is the fact that they are always fighting over the time we spend with them. So last week I agreed to spend my vacation going back and forth from my moms and dads to make them happy. However, while trying to please both of my parents I didn't leave room for the things that I needed to do in my own life and was left with heaps of work that I needed to get done for this upcoming week. Looking back, If I had been able to use some of MLk's length in my own life then I would have been able to prevent some of the issues by making time for myself, or focusing on the problems I'm facing, before trying helping others.

Three Take Aways:

- Length, looks at developing one's own personal capabilities

- Breadth, is someone's outward concern for others 

- Height, is the belief in something higher/ transcendence 

What Is Inner Strength and How to Develop ItLinks to an external site.

The Secret to Building ResilienceLinks to an external site.

Comments

Popular Posts